Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Benediction

At The Gathering I've experimented with a couple different benedictions to give when closing the time of worship. I've finally settled on one that I found in the March/April issue of The Upper Room. I think it captures what The Gathering (and in my opinion, the whole church should) seeks to be about:

"May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the fellowship and communion of the Holy Spirit be and abide with each of you, with all those whom you love, and especially with all those whom nobody loves save for God."

When we give the benediction we want people to feel good about the time they have just spent in worship and leave on an upnote. This benediction is good for doing that while still reminding us that not everyone experiences the love of God in their everyday lives, and subtly pushing us to spread that love.

Thanks to the author of this devotional for the gift of this benediction.

No comments: