Saturday, January 29, 2011

Project Israel- Egyptian Unrest


Unless you've been living under a rock for the past few days (or if your internet has been cut off, but if that's the case, then you're probably there!), you've seen the growing anti-government protests that started in Tunisia and spread to Egypt. As of Saturday morning, dozens are dead, hundreds injured, and the estimated damage to property is already getting into the billions. There are even reports that some priceless artifacts in the Egyptian Museum may have been damaged by rioters. Maybe the British were right to take all that stuff to London!

Our group is scheduled to travel to that region in only a few weeks, so needless to say, I've been watching the news carefully. We won't be crossing the Egyptian border, the group we're traveling with is constantly monitoring safety issues, and Israel's security infrastructure is likely the strongest in the world (thanks mostly to lots of US Foreign Aid dollars), so I'm not afraid for my safety.

That being said, it's only 264 miles from Cairo, where the worst of the rioting is happening, and Jerusalem. For some perspective, that's less than the distance between Nashville, TN and Indianapolis, IN- a journey I made frequently in college; and just a bit farther than the distance between my hometown of Nashville and Jessica's hometown of Louisville, KY.

I'm not really drawing any big conclusions here, it's just something interesting to ponder. Regardless of my travel plans, I'm praying for all those affected by the violence over there, and I hope you will, too.

No comments: