Saturday, July 18, 2009

What Once was Lost

There were so many irreplaceable things we lost in the fire that I can't even begin to list them here. One small grace is that I didn't have an office in the church, so I the only things I personally lost were my vestments. They were nice, but were all replaceable. 

All of them, that is, except the pectoral cross Jessica purchased for me in England a few years ago. It was of tremendous sentimental value to me and I was heartbroken that I lost it.

Even though we technically weren't supposed to, some of us started combing through the rubble today, and I went over to the area where the closet with my vestments was. Digging around I discovered a half burned pile of cloths that I realized had been my robes and stoles, and a large hunk of plastic that had been the hangers on which they hung.

And in the middle of that hunk of melted plastic:









It turns out that the plastic formed a protective casing around the cross, so the damage to it was minimal. I will be wearing it tomorrow, stains and all, and I'll take it to a jewelry shop this week to get it cleaned up.

God works small miracles even in the midst of great tragedies. This is only one of many that are yet to come.

3 comments:

Jessica Miller Kelley said...

I knew we'd find it! I'm so thankful.

TN Rambler said...

Matt,
The people of Sand Mountain United Methodist Church in Trenton, Ga will be lifting you and your congregation in prayer on Sunday morning. While the church may be destroyed, the Church goes on.

Blessings,
Wayne

Phelps----Let it go.... said...

Last night my husband and I were at a Trace Adkins concert in Big Flats, NY. Trace informed us of your loss and we were all very sad for you. My husband and I attend a small Methodist church in Lowman, NY and while we were saying our prayers in church today we added you and your church family in them. I know in my heart that you will overcome this loss. You will continue to be in our prayers and may God guide you in your rebuilding plans.
Peggy Humphrey