Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Wheels on the Bus

Yesterday, Jessica and our friend, Paula, took Kate "yard sale-ing" (as opposed to yard-sailing, which may not exist but sounds kind of cool), and found a couple cool toddler toys.

One of these toys is a little yellow bus that plays the song, "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round"(a song which I'm convinced, along with "John Jacob Jinglehimer Schmidt", is on a continuous loop in Hell). As you can see, there are a couple little removable plastic passengers. While Kate and I were playing after church this afternoon, I realized that when you press each of these people into their spot, their verse of the song plays.

The person in the front turns out to be the driver, and her verse goes:

The driver on the bus says 'move on back', 
'Move on back', 'move on back'. 
The driver on the bus says 'move on back'
All through the town.

This got me thinking about how fifty-five years ago, a driver on a bus in Montgomery, Alabama told a black woman to "move on back" in the segregated bus because there weren't enough seats on the bus for white people. Rosa Parks refused and was arrested, the Montgomery Bus Boycott began, and our world is a much better place for it.

(By the way, I have no reason to believe this song has any racial overtones, but anyone who knows otherwise, please feel free to correct me.)

Kate isn't talking just yet, but she will soon, and "Wheels on the Bus" will probably be a song that she learns early on. I'm going to teach her one additional verse:

Rosa Parks on the bus says, 'I aint moving'
'I aint moving', 'I aint moving'
Rosa Parks on the bus says, 'I aint moving'
All through the town!

No comments: